Dear patients and our community,
As you already know, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is very real and it is everyone’s responsibility to help keep our community safe from the rapid spread of Coronavirus. To help slow the spread of this virus, it is now more important than ever to take an abundance of caution to help protect you, your family, our community, and our healthcare system.
Because there are many unknowns about Coronavirus and things can change rapidly, we as acupuncture practitioners believe using common sense is the best measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
If you are feeling ill, or experiencing any of the following symptoms, please stay home and limit your exposure to other people in your community. By taking action, you will significantly delay the spread of COVID-19:
- Fever (oral temperature 100.4° or higher) or symptoms of fever (such as chills or body aches) within the past 24 hours. Please do not consider yourself fever-free until your temperature has been normal for at least 24 hours without the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen). The World Health Organization (WHO) currently recommends avoiding Advil (ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs for COVID-19 symptoms until more information is available.
- Shortness of breath and/or cough that is not known to be caused by another condition (for example allergies).
- Travel within the past 14 days to areas that have people known to be infected with COVID-19.
- Close contact with a person known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Healthcare workers who have been in contact with patients known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
Prevention is the best medicine. Here are some additional resources for patients and community during this critical time.
What You Can Do To Take Care Of Yourself
The most important things you can do to support your immune system are really basic:
- Don’t panic. Stress is bad for your immune system. It’s normal to have worried thoughts…just don’t entertain them for too long. Make some time to do something enjoyable each day and connect with loved ones.
- Wash your hands frequently and try not to touch your face.
- Get enough sleep. Turn off the screens and start winding down a little earlier.
- Drink lots of water to support healthy mucous membranes as a first line of defense. Hot water and tea have been shown to inhibit viruses in our throat.
- Eat more nutrient dense whole foods, soups, and bone broth.
- Eat less inflammatory foods: sugar, industrial seed oils, processed foods, alcohol, and foods you are sensitive to (wheat, dairy, eggs, nightshades etc.)
- Support lung health by doing some even breathing, preferably outdoors in fresh air, to move circulation and clear out toxins. Breath in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 1 count, then out through your mouth for a count of 5, hold for 1 count. Repeat 5 times. Make the counts even and not too long that you struggle.
Up-to-date COVID-19 Data from the World Health Organization
For the current number of cases worldwide, the World Health Organization maintains a COVID-19 Situation Report worldwide. Click here.
As acupuncturists we are committed to the health and safety of our community.
With your help and support, we can all take part in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
While these times may feel unusually challenging, please know we will continue to monitor the current situation and evaluate additional measures to help support patients and community.
Thank you and stay safe.